Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Inspirations for Deeds... "Legacy Of The Ancients"


When I think of my inspirations for "Deeds Of Yore", one of the first games to come to mind is Legacy of the Ancients.  I remember going to Toys 'R' Us with my Christmas money (twenty five bucks), and proceeding straight to the computer game section.  In 1987, the video game section of Toys 'R' Us consisted of NES, Sega 8 bit, and Commodore 64/128 games all behind glass with tickets that you tore off under them and took to the register for purchase.  I remember selecting Legacy of the Ancients because of the graphics depicted on the back of the box.  At that time the quality of graphics and price was my main concern in selecting a game.  This criteria led to a number of disappointments, however Legacy was not one of them.  An exciting story that mixed sci-fi and fantasy, vibrant colorful graphics, and a large world to explore all contributed to Legacy becoming one of my favorite games of all time.  I was actually playing Legacy on an emulator, when the idea for "Deeds Of Yore" was born.  I thought..."What if I could take an audience into a game like this?"  Legacy also inspired some of the more colorful artwork in Deeds, because it was the first RPG for Commodore that I ever played that actually used all 16 colors.  Legacy of the Ancients is also one of the games seen on the shelf of Electrotainment in Episode 2 because I still have the box and documentation.  If you want more information on Legacy check out the links below.

Legacy of the Ancients Wikipedia
Gamebase 64


No comments:

Post a Comment