Saturday, June 2, 2012

Arcade Compare #2...Star Wars.


Star Wars... It was HOT in the 80's, it's hot today, but when I was a kid, I think I would have done anything to be able to participate in the destruction on the Death Star.  Lucky for me the video game industry was aware of my desire, and realized it was the desire of about every kid who's eyes had fallen on the original Lucas classic.  In 1983 Atari created the Star Wars arcade game.  No trip to my local arcade was complete without a stab at the Empire in color vector graphics.I remember getting good enough to destroy the Death Star the first time (not too hard), I mean, I might as well have fallen into the movie I was so excited.  I thought I was Luke.  It's not hard to see why I bought this game for my C64.  I had the Atari 2600 version that did NOT have vector graphics, but the Commodore version did.  The C64 version of the classic is great, it's just about as good as arcade ports get for the Commodore.  The graphics are as close as they can be to the original, game play is very very close.  I'll go out on a limb and say this may be the best arcade port to C64 I know about.  Today, you can just fire up Mame and play the arcade version, and no matter how good the C64 version is, it's not the arcade version.  But it's fun to be able to play both and remember the days when the arcade was king, my shoes had Velcro, and I had to wait a week for new episodes of my favorite shows to air on TV.


No comments:

Post a Comment