Friday, June 1, 2012

Game-a-day #29 ...Escape From The Planet Of The Robot Monsters.


I'm gonna call today 90's day, because for the first time in Game-a-day history (a little less than two months) I'm pulling a 90's game off the shelf to talk about.  Yeah! the 90's were kinda cool, they started Grunge, Techno, Liquid Television, Reality TV, wild art coffee houses... I went to one in the early 90's called Van Gogh's Ear, it was right on the Venice Boardwalk, a famous strip of beach in Los Angeles, and the times I had there were very 90's alternative good.  But I digress into my early adulthood, and I'm not talking about games like I should. Okay, so I didn't actually get to play a lot of computer games from 90-93, because I was busy being a late teen who just liked girls, experimenting with controlled substances, and learning about tobacco and beer.  My C64 sat on a shelf for this three year period and at the end of it all it was outdated to the point of going into a closet.  There was one exception during this period.  I was hanging out with a girl I had a crush on who happened to have a C64 of her own, and was still trying to finish "Alice in Wonderland" on it, so we played that game a little together.  Man, memory lane kinda gets you off subject.  Anyway, needless to say I missed some of the most advanced titles the C64 had to offer and "Escape From The Planed Of The Robot Monsters" is one of them.  It's a rescue game kind of like "Alien Syndrome".  It's got Isometric graphics (awesome), multi-level ladder access, a bunch of robots, hostages to rescue, a weapon, and it even plays with the pace of a good arcade game.  The graphics are in the as good as the C64 can do and still have moving objects category.  The C64 enjoyed a long life for a personal computer, games being produced well into the 90's are good proof of that.  So while I was following the Grateful Dead, and hitchhiking through Northern California, some awesome game companies were making sweet games that I never got to pay, but get to now through the miracle of hackers and emulation.

Escape from the planet of the Robot Monsters on Gamebase64 

No comments:

Post a Comment