Thursday, May 31, 2012

Abandonia Treasures #14...A Nightmare On Elm Street.


It's very possible that as a kid I was more scared of Freddy Kruger than of any other movie monster of that era.  It could be because he was burned beyond recognition, it could be the knife glove, or perhaps it was that he killed kids in their sleep.  Whatever the reason I was terrified of that guy.  I was very excited to see that there was a 1989 game made of the Elm Street series, but it falls kinda short in just about every way imaginable as a computer game.  I know I call this entry Abandonia "Treasures", and then I don't always like the game I'm talking about, but one man/woman's trash is another's treasure, so I'll stick to my guns on the title.  Besides, Abandonia as a site is a treasure in itself, so it goes to figure that anything they have available in their database is a treasure by default.  But why split hairs?  Let's get back to the game.  Graphics are kinda cool but not amazing, well short of this splash screen.  I found game play to be boring because it's just a maze game with a little combat, but not enough to make it worth playing for very long.  Sound in the DOS version is PC speaker, so it's lame, I'm sure the C64 version (I didn't play it) has better sound.  All in all this is a novelty game for fans of the horror genre, or the Elm Street saga.  Try it out, if you like it and find something I didn't in it, good on you, if you feel the same as I do about it, good on you too, it's not a competition people.

Nightmare on Elm Stret at Abandonia 

No comments:

Post a Comment