Thursday, May 24, 2012

Abandonia Treasures #7... Charlie Chaplin


I'm a huge silent film fan, I mean I actually watch silent films quite a bit, and Charlie Chaplin was the king of the silent era.  So, when I was puttering around on Abandonia.com and found a vintage game called "Charlie Chaplin"  I got excited.  It' is a cool game, at least it's super original.  I don't think I'v played anything quite like it, and I've played a LOT of weird and wonderful games over the years.  Anyhow, "Charlie Chaplin" is a game about making your own Chaplin movies and trying to make them good enough to make money off of them.  It's an early film studio simulator I guess.  You look over the scenes in the script, sign the contract, shoot the scenes (you control Charlie), edit (VERY limited, you choose the speed of the scene), then it's on to screen the movie and see if the audience likes it.  I did one entire movie and the audience hated it, so I made no money.  I'm not sure what to do to make a good movie.  When you shoot you have control of Charlie and there are a couple of other characters that you can knock down or they will knock you down.  I'm yet to understand that part of the game, I'm sure there is a formula.  Then in the edit you just pick a speed for the scene... Again, not sure how this helps or hurts.  You have to watch the entire film after to see how it's received, and that's a tad on the slow side, but all in all the game seems to be fun.  It's in B&W graphics so it goes with the era, and the graphics are acceptable and even humorous.  I think fans of the silent film will like this game just cause it's about Chaplin, but  you other potential players out there should give it a shot just because it's weird.

Charlie Chaplin on Abandonia

No comments:

Post a Comment