Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Game-a-day #42...Archon.


Do you like chess?  Do you like simple 8 bit combat?  Did you always want to combine the two?  If you said yes to any of my questions or better yet all three you're going to like "Archon".  "Archon" is an old game from the dawn of the C64 (1983) but it holds up just fine.  It's a chess like strategy game with a twist.  When you capture / kill your opponents piece, you have to do real time arcade style combat.  The thing is some pieces are better to fight with than others so if you go up against your foe with a weak piece he can easily turn the tide by killing your piece.  I talked about "Archon" on one of our Yorecast podcasts, and said then that if I found it I would add it to the Game-a-day, so here it is in all it's glory. I must say it's a great deal more advanced than I remember, and the animation of the pieces is awesome especially for 1983.  It's easy to just jump into this game and start playing, so go on...What are you waiting for?

Archon on Abandonia.com

Archon on Gamebase64.com

2 comments:

  1. I played Archon a lot. But I do think the "chess" bit is overrated. Having skill at fighting beats any colored square.

    I used to play with dark, teleport the Basilisk on to the Phoenix, kill it, kill the next piece that attacks me, kill the Wizard and then keep killing pieces. Sometimes the Basilisk died, but I could revive it or use the other Basilisk. In my prime I won the game without losing any pieces.

    Archon 2 is much more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never played Archon 2. I'll have to give it a play and make it a Game-a-day. I love the combat in Archon, but I agree with you about the chess part not being that important. Someone should start an Archon league, I would watch love to watch the matches.

    ReplyDelete