Thursday, May 31, 2012

Game-a-day #30...The Secret of Bastow Manor.


I'm back to my old standby and favorite in many respects, yes, it's the old text adventure, now known as interactive fiction.  It's kind of like how Cape Canaveral became Cape Kennedy... Text adventure turned into interactive fiction, or Leningrad to Stalingrad, or Peking to Beijing... You get the picture.  Yes, back to the fact that I'm back on a text adventure kick, and it's because no matter how simple they are, I usually find them at least more fun than the last Game-a-day "Snoopy".  I shouldn't pick on Snoop, but I just couldn't get as in to it as I did this very simple game with graphics that will NOT impress anyone ever, unless they were punch card carrying programmers back in 1960.  I know the graphics aren't that bad, but I'm being dramatic for the blog.  To be honest the graphics are quite impressive because they are ASCII graphics, that means that only text is used to render all the pictures in this game.  Whoever went to the trouble of making this put some effort into that $%^& is all I'm saying.  As you can see from the picture above I died last time I played, and it's not because I wasn't cheating because I was.  And you can cheat too, because below is the walkthrough that will take you all the way to the end provided you do not decide you should strike out on your own and try to go it alone.  Bad idea kid, I did that and you see where it got me...Dead, with flowers to boot. Seeing as I didn't yet do the entire walkthrough (I don't have time to solve the game on my own), I still don't actually know what the story behind the manor or the Bastow is or what that secret is.  Seems like the secret is what the game is about.  Whatever, it's still cool to play, and you'll find out if you go with the walkthrough as I've recommended.  The parser is primitive, it's like trying to communicate with a box of hammers, but you'll get the hang of the limited vocabulary, and there's that walkthrough I keep talking about.   Play it for fun, for the ASCII graphics, for the mystery whatever it is, but do give it a shot, it's better than "Snoopy".

The Secret of Bastow Manor on Gamebase64

The walkthrough (you probably need it)

No comments:

Post a Comment