Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Game-a-day #32...One on One.


Finally I'm doing a sports game.  Okay, I did do "Skate or Die", and pro skating is a legitimate sport, but I'm doing one with balls this time...well, one ball.  I remember playing one on one or half court basketball for real especially in grade school. I was never any good as I'm not too much of a sportsman, but it was always a good time.  "One on One" let's you play a half court one on one game, but wait there's more... What if I told you that you get to pick either Larry Bird or Dr. J in this one on one game?  And then what if I told you the two of them are pitted against each other in mortal basketball combat?  Awesome right? And it is, but the game play is a touch on the boring side especially when you consider you're playing two basketball legends, I mean Dr. J invented above the rim ball. I still like playing this game regardless because it's all about my childhood and basketball and winning and all the good stuff.  The most hilarious part of this game is the fact that Larry Bird is like white white, he's the color of snow.  He was a pale guy, and there were only 16 colors available, so I guess it would be between pink, a kinda sick yellow or snow white.  I guess the regular white is better.  So they made a second version of this game that ousted Dr. J for a young vibrant star who had just come on the scene... Jordan.  That's the one I remember a little better, they called it "Jordan vs. Bird".  Today I kinda like to play Dr. J, just because it's even more retro-fantastic.  Sports fans, especially of the basketball variety should give this game a play for the nostalgia, but also for the many game options such as looser or winner's ball, timed or specific score wins the game, and computer vs man, or man vs. man, or even computer vs. computer (if you're the type who just likes to watch).  Get it play it... Just do it.

One on One on Gamebase64

2 comments:

  1. As a European kid (and not really into sports), the names of the big US basketball stars didn't mean much to me back then. But I remember the neat little "special effect" of tearing down the basket by "accident" - and playing it only to reproduce that effect. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not even sure that the two players are any different other than how they look. I remember being able to break the basket, that is probably the number one reason to play this game. Thanks for bringing it up!

    ReplyDelete