Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Game-a-day #52...Invaders of the Lost Tomb (aka. Scarabæus)


"Invaders of the Lost Tomb" is wonderfully creative.  A mix of Ancient Egypt and space men (you are the space man) give this game an almost "Twilight Zone" quality, if you catch my drift.  The graphics are amazing and again very creative.  The interface is like nothing else, very alien.  The game play is a mix of action and hardcore puzzle solving.  I could go into detail about game play but the link I included below to the C64-wiki has a very detailed article on how to play and finish the game.  The first person experience in "Invaders" is ultra simple yet amazing for it's day.  I remember getting this game off the sale rack at some software store, getting it home, and not understanding how to play ( I never would read any documentation), but being amazed at the fact that I could walk around the halls of this tomb or whatever it is, and it felt like I was moving around in 3 dimensions.  It was a profound experience for me as a lad, because even original "Doom" was about six or seven years away.  I think all retro fans should check this game out if for no other reason than to check out some sweet 80's first person action.

Invaders of the Lost Tomb on Gamebase64

Scarabæus on the C64-wiki

No comments:

Post a Comment